The food industry is going green.
Packaging allows the American food industry to preserve and ship food safely around the world. With increasing concern about the waste factor of packaging products, food distributors are coming up with innovative ways to reduce their impact on the environment.
Here are some of the ways:
- energy and water conservation
- reduction of paper waste
- biodegradable plastic products
- reduction of wastes throughout the entire lifecycle of the product
Navigate the labels. Because the labels keep changing (and who knew what they meant in the first place?) it’s hard to keep up with the symbols and numbers.
Here are a few commonly used ones:
- (SFI) Sustainable Forestry Initiative
- (FSC) Forest Stewardship Council
- #1,2,4,5 are often recyclable
- #1 PET cups not typically recyclable
- #6 (like plastic cutlery) not usually recyclable
Green is our favorite color–except when it comes to plastic. Because of its chemical compounds, green plastic can’t be recycled.